Sunday, October 30, 2005

GoFish!

27th october was our monthly LM and it was at one of the dental classrooms. was really encouraged by sam (M1) who was leading worship. especially the song PEOPLE NEED THE LORD really spoke of the urgency of sharing the gospel, in line with our theme of evangelism for this LM. :):)

Serene (D4) shared her testimony about how she came to Christ... here are some excerpts from her testimony:

"I was aware of the Christian faith way before, when I was in Secondary school. My four years of secondary school was spent at CHIJ Secondary (TP), where I was exposed to the different practices of the catholic faith....When I befriended my best friend in secondary school, who was a Christian, she introduced me to the Christian faith.......I was living with the knowledge about Jesus Christ but I was not prepared to declare my faith or change my lifestyle. When I entered Dentistry several years later, I recall Elaine approaching me to ask about my religion in the student lounge. When I told her about my past experience with Christianity, she asked me if I knew what the 4 spiritual laws were about......At that moment, I wasn’t sure of how I got the conviction, but I actually agreed to say the Sinner’s Prayer together with Elaine. I guess it was a leap of faith to find out for myself who God is......I realized that it is important to have Christians take initiative.....Who knows, the next person we reach out to may be able to find eternal life."

Amen to that! we don't know when or where God is going to call someone to Himself, but if we allow ourselves to be used by Him wherever we are, He will bring us to places we never expected ourselves to be.

after Serene, Feng Yi (M5) shared about his experiences sharing Christ to patients as well as his thoughts on evangelism..
as with all things medical, we start with the ABCs:

Assess the patient (this requires spiritual discernment - to know when and where is the right time/person to share with),
Bring the good news (our job is just to share the gospel, don't worry yourself with other stuff!!),
Christ will do the rest (we sow the seed, God is the one who grows it! doesn't matter if we dun get to do followup with the patient or even if he/she does not say the sinner's prayer... our job is to share Christ!)

he said some pretty good slogans which i thought was really great. FY, you shud be on E-comm! haha.
"Medicine can't cure, only Jesus can."

Evan showed us two clips from the movie Titanic... the part where the ppl were drowning, and the ppl in the boats refused to turn back cos they were afraid that their lifeboat would capsize if they tried to go back. at the end, when they finally went back, there was no more struggling, cos all the ppl were dead. "it's too late. we waited too long." said the guy.

do we picture ourselves saying that with our friends, relatives, acquaintances who never heard of Jesus?

friends, we have a lifeboat that cannot be capsized, yet are we going back to save those who are going into eternity without Christ?? are we going to wait til it's too late?

i introduced our prayer card: GoFish. (based on Matthew 4:19)
PS: if u dun have one, pls get from me (ask evan)!!!! i have plenty! haha.

at Crusade one of our 4 major distinctives is initiative evangelism. not just winning ppl to Christ, but really intentionally praying for the ppl whom God has placed in our lives, that we may take the initiative to grab or even create opportunities to share with these ppl.

this prayer card is pocket sized so that we can carry it around in our wallets, as a reminder to ourselves to continually pray for 3 non-Christian friends whom God has brought across our paths. rather than wait passively for a chance to share, why not start praying for them, and for God to open the door for spiritual conversations?

we also prayed thru 6 questions we hope God can plant in these friends' hearts, so that they may be prepared for the gospel:

1. Whom can I trust?
Ask God to plant in the hearts of lost people a skepticism about the lies they hear, whether philosophical, social, or political. Soon they will discover it is not possible to trust anybody other than someone who is absolutely perfect. Eventually this search will direct their thoughts to God.

2. What is my reason for being?
Ask God to plant in their hearts an urgency concerning this question. This will cause a reevaluation of their reason for being and lead them to consider a purpose not found at a human level.

3. when will I really be free?
Need to recognize they are not really free from sin, pain and suffering. Pray they will feel an emptiness that can be satisfied only by receiving Christ into their lives. Pray that the person will ask, "When will I be free from this emptiness in my heart?"

4. why do I reject God?
Some do not recognize His existence, some are indifferent, some have trouble acknowledging Him (having some issues with the idea of the existence of God). Ask God to cause lost souls to question the reality of God and why they reject Him or not acknowledge God. Pray that they will examine their views on God and seek for answers to who God is.

5. How can I cope with my problems?
Ask God to show how flimsy the things they put their hope in; that they see their hopelessness. Our intercession is for them to see their problems beyond their abilities and realize their need for deliverance and thus prepare their hearts for the day the Gospel will be given to them.

6. where will I go when I die?
The reality of death is understood in every culture. Everyone wonders about death at some point in life. Pray that God will turn these questions into a quest for an eternal answer, that He will plant a longing to resolve this issue.

Praying these prayer interrogatives does not force salvation upon an individual, but rather prepares his or her heart for the Gospel.

May this be a start of a renewed fire and vision for sharing the gospel with our friends.
May we not grow weary in sowing the seeds. Those who sow abundantly will also reap abundantly.
God has called each and every single one of us, not just a selected few who "have the gift".
Have you responded to His call?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home